According to Dr. Steven Masley, author of ‘The 30-Day Heart Tune-Up’, the number one cause of heart disease is the high level of sugar consumption, which not only metabolizes into fat but also contributes towards the creation of plaque in our arteries.
Now, add to this the lack of regular exercise and the increasing levels of the hormone cortisol caused by both mental and emotional stress, and you now have a lethal combination that will put too much stress on your cardiovascular system, maybe even kill you.
But it doesn’t have to be this way. You have the power to boost your overall physical, mental, emotional well-being – not to mention a boost to your sex life, by following these 7 steps to purify your heart:
7 Steps to Purify your Heart
To Purify the Physical Heart
1. Move or exercise your body daily. If you were to dissect a live human body, the first thing you’ll notice is the fist-sized muscle in the middle of your chest moving eagerly up and down. Your heart is the organ of movement, so follow its lead and move every day. You can walk, run, cycle, row, hike or do any form of aerobic exercise that gets your circulatory system energized. You’ll not only lose weight, but you’ll also trim down and look and feel sexy.
2. Eat for your Heart. Avoid sugars and flours as well as hydrogenated fats. Increase your consumption of fabulous fiber foods (vegetables, leafy greens, fruits, and grains), healthy fats like olive oil, fish oil, and grass-fed butter, as well as healthy proteins. Also be sure to add beneficial beverages such as pure water, green tea, cacao, and red wine in moderation. Finally, be sure to add spices such as chili, turmeric, ginger, and garlic, which your heart not only loves but will also have an anti-aging effect and lower inflammation in your body. Be sure to not abuse alcohol and caffeine!
To Purify The Emotional Heart
3. Get Enough Sleep. Sleep plays a key role in learning and development and serves as the downtime our brains and emotional systems need to process, sort and integrate the day’s sensory and emotional experiences. Each time you get a full night sleep, you hit your body’s natural ‘reset button’. So be sure to get a minimum of 7-8 hours of sleep each day. If possible, consider setting up a Digital Sunset for a Good Night Sleep.
4. Create Space for Love & Joy. When was the last time you had a good laugh? What about a good hug? Spent time with a close friend that makes you feel good? Participated in activities that allowed the playful child within you to come out, be creative, have fun and play? What you want to do is create regular space in your busy calendar and schedule time to do those things that allow you to connect with your inner feelings of love and joy.
5. Seek Help and Support from others. Remember that you’re not meant to walk The Path of the Heart on your own. Along the way, there are many guides, teachers, and mentors that will be more than glad to help and support you if all you do is ask. If you feel overwhelmed, confused, and you’ve been trying to do it all alone, it’s time you start doing things differently by hiring a coach, visiting a therapist, a healer or a counselor or attending a group that you can share the depths of your heart with. If my work resonates with you, and you’d like to explore the possibility of hiring me as your coach, here are different ways we can work together.
To Purify the Spiritual Heart
6. Add 15-20 minutes of a Heart Energizing meditation, or bio feedback tool like HeartMath’s Quick Coherence Technique in order to improve your ability to manage your negative emotions, boost emotional resilience and reduce stress every day. By doing so, you’ll also increase your connection with the loving intelligence that resides deep within your heart, and start receiving intuitive messages and guidance about your life’s direction, finding creative solutions to your current challenges. A powerful meditation I highly recommend is The Prayer of the Heart, which you can download freely from my website.
7. Perform a Purification Ritual. Rituals can often be powerful for creating deep, transformative changes in our lives. One way you can do this is by visiting a large body of water such as an ocean or a lake, where you can simply invite Mother Nature, and it’s powerful harmonizing forces to clean and purify your heart. Another powerful ritual you can use is asking The Divine, God, Jesus, Mother Mary, or an Archangel to enter into your heart so that all that is not love can be released from within you. My Christ Consciousness Activation guided meditation or can help you do this.
On this topic of rituals, in the island of Hawaii each year they perform a Japanese Floating Lantern Ceremony with the intention to remember, reflect, offer gratitude and release all those who have gone before us. What if you borrowed from this ceremony and did your own Floating Lantern Ceremony with the intention of releasing from your heart any old grudges, resentments, either about yourself or others that you might be still holding onto? You can do this by creating your own lantern, which you’ll release in a lake, or do it inwardly in the form of a visualization. The idea is that you release or let go symbolically, all of those relationships, people, places, and habits, addictions, or any beliefs that no longer serve you.
Taking the time to remember, reflect and appreciate all the miles you’ve traveled along The Path of the Heart, can open you to become more receptive to what is yet to come! It might just have the purifying effect to let go of what no longer serves you and set a powerful intention to become receptive for more love, abundance, joy, and well-being in all areas of your life.
Following these suggestions could be one of the most loving things you could do for yourself this year. And, as Washington Irving lovingly reminds us, all the love you give yourself and others, reciprocated or not, will continue to flow back into our lives, again and again, purifying our hearts, and the hearts of those whose lives we touch.
Feel free to leave a comment below.
Photo by Kristin Diering